20 May 2013

Stories from Thai and Pai

First of all I gotta say: all the good things we heard about Thailand are true. Friendly people, sunny climate, beautiful landscapes and cheap prices. But the food... Well, maybe this is the vegetarian speaking here but I'm really disappointed. Not only that usually there's not one veggie option on the menu, but also because I thought it's more diverse. Again, the list of pork, chicken and seafood is usually very long, but I miss pasta and Indian food. I should have learned long ago what the Thai word for 'vegetarian' means, because many people here don't speak english. Have I become an ignorant traveler?
Sometimes it's difficult, indeed, to keep track of the country and culture you're in. I thought the months in Nepal and India were a long time, and now we've been in Thailand for 3 weeks already and I'm still struggling to arrive. Despite that, Klaus and me had tons of fun in the north of the country so far.
We rented a moped and drove 150km (ie 5hrs) to Pai, a small touristy town in the middle of beautiful green hills. It wasn't much cooler there but we went into waterfalls almost every day. Life is fantastic when you're sliding down a waterfall or relaxing in the pond above it...
While I stayed at a permaculture farm for 3 days, Klaus went further down the road, exploring the Mae Hong Son region (more about that tour in the next post). It was incredible staying at Tacomepai Farm because of it's fantastic design (bamboo!) and it's cool people. It's been too long since I hang out at a campfire and discussed about the sense of money and the influence of economics on politics and agriculture. I can't emphasise enough the importance of inspiring people, and I wish there was a better way of sharing our great thoughts with the dear reader then just saying: think twice. No matter about what, think twice. But maybe, for a more specific input, you should watch this! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvrww8iMl-A&feature=youtube_gdata_player)
Now Klaus and me are back in Chiang Mai,  couchsurfing with the awesome Germans Franzi and Rob, who are studying here. If it wasn't for the mean ants around and in the house, we would probably stay forever. Free wifi and good coffee at the university,  ultimate frisbee almost every day and cool hang out's with our friends' friends. Good times!
by Lia

No comments: